You can save time and money by identifying early signs of soakaway problems
Are you experiencing soakaway problems? If you suspect that your soakaway system is not performing properly, contact the experts at Proseptic.
Call us for a no obligation quote
What Is A Soakaway?
A soakaway acts as a filter for the water flowing out of the septic tank or sewage treatment system. It can contain pipework with perforations which allows the waste water to soak into the surrounding ground. The soil particles in the soakaway area filter and treat any remaining waste in the water draining from the septic tank.
Although soakaways are an effective sewage treatment component, they can experience problems. Soakaway problems have a range of causes, many of which can be hard to diagnose without thorough investigation, training and knowledge. You can see the three main causes of soakaway problems below.
Common Causes Of Soakaway Problems
Incorrect installation of a soakaway
The main issue we see at Proseptic is incorrect soakaway installation. This can include installation which has not been laid deep enough under the ground. Alternatively, it could mean a percolation test has not been carried out correctly. This means that waste water is not being filtered through the correct soil type or too short a length of drainage trench.
Soakaways need to be installed in the right type of ground conditions. This includes making sure that the sodium levels in the soils are optimal and the ground shows some kind of absorption. This is not an issue which many property owners can diagnose themselves and incorrect conditions can have disastrous effects. Waste water which is not properly filtered can cause contamination in surrounding land and waterways.This will land property owners in trouble with the Environment Agency.
If you suspect that your soakaway has been installed incorrectly, or if you have already been contacted by the Environment agency regarding your soakaway, contact us immediately for advice and solutions.
The ground surrounding the soakaway system can become over saturated for a variety of reasons including;
• Damage to the septic tank causing an excess of contaminated water to escape into the soakaway.
• Soakaway becomes blocked by the failure of the septic tank to restrict solids
• Damaged or cracked pipe allowing too much water to soak into the soil.
• Excess groundwater or flooding in the area.
• Tree root infestation
Essentially, an oversaturated soakaway will stop processing waste water as there simply isn’t enough space for more water to enter the system. This can cause further damage to the septic tank and pipes as the pressure and build-up of water may become heavier than the system is designed to hold.
Septic tanks and soakaway pipes can become damaged over time. There are a variety of reasons for sudden damage or cracking to the soakaway pipes and septic tanks, including:
• Repeated pressure from vehicles, such as tractors, driving over the soakaway area.
• Plant life growing in the soakaway area and putting pressure on the pipe or septic tank walls. The main culprit for this is tree roots, which are far stronger than the plastic used for sewage treatment system components.
• Properties which have been empty for some time may see a build-up of sludge in the septic tank, soakaway and pipes due to a lack of maintenance.
Soakaway Replacements and Property Insurance
Many soakaway problems, repairs and replacements will be covered by your property insurance.
We offer a full insurance liaison service. We communicate with insurance companies and offer full details of any soakaway problems and necessary soakaway solutions. This helps to take the stress out of claiming soakaway repairs through property insurance.
Benefits of Proseptic
No obligation soakaway advice
- If you are have any questions about soakaway problems or are unsure if your existing septic system meets the latest regulations, please get in touch. Our friendly, expert team are always happy to share our expertise to help you make the right decisions.
Soakaways fitted by expert engineers
- Only highly experienced engineers carry out soakaway surveys and repairs. We pride ourselves on our customer service which is why most of our work actually comes from client referrals.
What you can expect from Proseptic
- Our customers are more than a sales opportunity. We want your soakaway and sewage treatment system to work for you. Therefore, we deliver all soakaway repairs with longevity, quality and efficiency with minimal hassle.
- We endeavour to explain all sewage treatment options to you. Therefore, you can feel confident and make an informed decision on any soakaway problems armed with all the information available.